Sunday, June 17, 2012

Homemade Father's Day Card

Happy Father's Day! I hope you have a special day planned for your father or gift to give him in celebration of the contribution that your father has made to your life. Popular Father's Day gifts include homemade cards, sports items, clothing, electronics, outdoor grilling supplies, and home improvement tools.

Over the years, my tradition has been to create a unique homemade card with a small gift for my dad and spend the day with him playing sports or helping him around the house usually.

Most parents enjoy when their child makes them something homemade--it truly comes from the heart and shows them their creative talent. So I wanted to post my Father's Day Card I created and give you some ideas on making the perfect DAD card.


Homemade Father's Day Card

All you need is:
Cardstock
Envelope
Gluestick(s)
Markers, colored pencils, etc. (Any writing utensils you want to use)
Magazines, newspapers (you can cut out of)
Anything else you want to add to your card to make it unique

Tip: Instead of worrying about cutting cardstock to fit your envelope, use blank cards from a cardstock kit.

-I used DCWV Box of A2 Cards: Bright Solids (I purchased at Michael's), which came with 50 blank cards and matching envelopes in a variety of colors. You can also use the blank cards for birthdays, holidays, and thank you cards as well.


1. First I picked out a theme for the card. I wanted to create something that my dad would like or that he's interested in general, sports.

Tip: Brainstorm and think about your dad's favorite things and have your theme revolve around them.

Examples
-Use a line from one of his favorite TV shows or movies
-Create a collage of his favorite things to do, hobbies, sports to watch, or things that you enjoy doing with him
-Draw out his name and write around the outside, adjectives and words that describe him

2. Then, I went through my scrapbooking supplies (aka magazines, newspaper cutouts, etc.) and looked for something that would work great with my theme.

3. After cutting out several different images, I came up with the idea of making a runner's medal that says "#1 Dad" because he's a true winner.

4. Then I arranged my cutouts on the blank cardstock and glued it together.

5. For the inside, I cutout individual letters to spell out his name and also hand-wrote "Happy Father's Day!"

6. Write a cute message inside, seal up your creation, and be sure to give your dad a hug on Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment